From:
EVELYN DAVIS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Aug 1999 08:32:22 -0700
On November 6, our museum will host a WesternMemorabilia Appraisal Clinic, presented by Butterfield & Butterfield. Three appraisers with expertise in Native American art, Hollywood memorabilia, and Western painting will be on hand. Each guest is asked to limit their items to five. This program is free to the public and will take place in the Wells Fargo Theater at the museum.

Evelyn Davis
Director of Marketing & Public Affairs

>>> David Hupert <[log in to unmask]> 08/11/99 12:54AM >>>
>>> As part of an upcoming exhibit, our museum plans to hold several
>consultation
>>> days where visitors can bring in personal objects to have them identified
>by
>>> a panel of experts.
>>> Has anyone ever done anything like this?
>>> My supervisor would like to contact some others who have done anything
>>> similar to talk to them about some of the logistical problems.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any information,
>>>
>>> Vanda Bushfield
>>> Assistant Curator of Exhibits
>>> Old Capitol Museum

Back in the sixties the Whitney Museum of American Art in New York used to
set one day a year to comment upon paintings brought in by members of the
public.  I remember the then Director, Jack Baur, both dreading and
welcoming the opportunity to view sometimes interesting works of art.  By
the end of the day he looked as if he had just run a marathon.

Christies in South Kensington, London, will give an opinion on anything
brought in to their reviewing desk.  Since the advent of the Antiques Road
Show, long a staple of BBC television, innumerable scruffy teddy bears have
been a source of great disappointment to their hopeful owners.

The issue that will be most insistently raised is the dollar value of the
object.  Be prepared to use great tact and make it very clear that you are
providing a historical and possibly aesthetic context, not an appraisal of
the object.

Good luck and have fun.

David Hupert

Museum-L" (without the quotes).