From:
Lisa Shockley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2007 08:52:49 -0400
Marcella,

I haven't even read the other responses yet, but I can say DON'T EVEN
THINK ABOUT IT.

Our organization made the mistake of doing this in the past, because of
the high reputation of the pair of producers of many well-known
"historical" period piece movies. I'm not going to name them. One of the
pair died almost exactly two years ago. One of their films took place
here in Kansas City, with a phenomenal cast. It was decided by
administration and possibly board level, that it would be great
publicity/benefit to the museum to be associated with the project. Out
of the artifact lent, several were stolen and never returned to us, some
were broken and at least one had been used to hold real food and
returned unwashed!!

Not learning, a few years later we were forced to allow a cable network
film a couple scenes from their movie on Harry Truman in the museum.
After their smoke/fog machine (which they had already been told that
they could not use and started up anyway) set off the smoke detectors,
one of the crew hammered at the alarm panel until it went silent, doing
over a thousand dollars worth of damage. The same people also set the
curtains in a period room on fire.

I actually have a few more similar stories--but these are the
"funniest?"

We do have researchers for many movies, documentaries and television
shows, even ESPN once (Chiefs stuff), that we accommodate in our
archives. I have worked with costume and set designers in showing them
historical pieces and allowing sketching--same as we would for any other
researcher. But, we don't send the items out the door!!

Lisa

Lisa Shockley, Collections Technician
Union Station/Kansas City Museum
30 W. Pershing Road
Kansas City, MO 64108

816-460-2055

"Where there is Peace; there is Culture;
Where there is Culture; there is Peace."
Nicholas Roerich (1874-1947)