From:
Anne Lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 1997 08:52:34 -0500
I am forwarding this message, with permission, from a calligrapher who needs
some advice on archival paper:

>Dear Anne,
>
>Yes, please.  To be more specific.  I have a client who wishes a photo album.
>Overall size is 13.5" x 12.5".  The photos are 8 x 10's.  They are black and
>white only.  No color shots.  She wants them mounted on white or cream papers
>with a Japanese lace paper in between.  The album is a modified Japanese
>four-hole binding.
>
>My concern is of course the papers.  I talked with Light Impressions and we
>agreed that it would be better to interleave the mounting pages with Apollo
>tissue.  The mounting paper is more difficult.  Arches cover which is
affordable
>is acid-free, but not lingin free.  Twinrocker b-buff and creme is lingen free,
>but not affordable.  (The photographers current binder is making this album for
>$80,  the cost of b-buff alone is $90.)
>
>Can anyone on your conservators list suggest a mounting paper that would be
>lingin free and affordable? My biggest problem is the size of the album.  It
>can't be made smaller because the photos must be mounted either horizontally or
>vertically and I am faced with only getting two pieces out of a standard 20 x26
>inch piece of paper.
>
>I would appreciate greatly any advice you can provide.
>
>Hermineh Miller in Reston, VA

If anyone can help her, we'd both be much obliged.  Thank you.
Anne Lane
Curatorial Assistant
Museum of York County
4621 Mt. Gallant Road
Rock Hill, SC  29732-9905
803-329-2121 ext 122  *  [log in to unmask]