From:
Bob Wildfong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Nov 1996 18:24:39 EST

> I have been asked by the Friends organization of our 1877 historic
> house to check the 'net for information on period gardens. They have
> begun to develop flower beds and are of two minds: 1. Strictly period
> or  2. making a memorial garden (to honor a former employee) which
> just looks nice with our bright yellow house! We also have a seaside
> location, facing West with some salt spray.

My experience is that museum visitors are becoming more interested every
year in period gardens.  I think that many of your visitors will expect
your garden to be strictly period.

I don't see any reason why your garden can't serve both of the purposes
which you mention.  By 1877 there was quite an extensive horticultural
trade in Eastern Canada.  A browse through garden magazines and catalogues
of the period should convince your Friends group that 1877 flower varieties
and garden designs were sophisticated and attractive; quite appropriate for
a memorial garden.

Bob Wildfong
Head Gardener, Doon Heritage Crossroads
Kitchener, Ontario