From:
Robin Trotter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Feb 1997 13:41:51 +1000
>Sorry to reply to the whole list, but I can't find the original poster of
>the inquiry on alternate interpretations!
>
>>1.  Baltimore History Museum (or is it the Maryland Historical Society?)
>>had a temporary exhibit a couple years ago curated by an
>>African-American artist, which re-interpreted objects in their
>>collections.  It had an extensive review in either Museum News or
>>History News several years ago, and my friends who saw it gave it rave
>>reviews.
>
>It was the Maryland Historical Society and the exhibit was by Fred Wilson,
>a New York artist who did a similar installation in the Seattle Art Museum.
> The show was marvelous and he had amazing insights into our work.  Many
>AAM members were lucky enough to see it when the AAM met in Baltimore -
>recall the year and you'll have a clue about when this all took place. He
>was interviewed in Museum News: "Making the Museum Mine."  Sorry I don't
>have the citation handy, but if anyone is interested, reply off-list and
>I'll get it to you within a few weeks.

Fred has also published a book on his 'museum intervention' at Maryland
entitled:  Mining the Museum.  Sorry I don't have the publisher details to
hand, but have sighted the book and for those unable to view the exhibit it
is a beautifully produced alternative.

Robin Trotter
Australian Key Centre for Culture and Media Policy
Faculty of Humanities
Griffith University
Nathan.   4111

Phone:  07 3875 7338