From:
Pamela Feltus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2000 11:37:20 -0500
As a DC-er I have to agree. You can't expect to move to town and be able to get a museum job right away- it's 95% luck, 3% connexions and 2% ability. People who get Smithsonian jobs stay there forever- there is not much turnover. And Laura failed to mention that of those few SI
openings (as well as lot of other jobs in town) the people hiring actually already have the person they want to hire and are posting it as mainly a technicality. I also don't know too many mailroom-to-boardroom SI stories.

I've done the Smithsonian job route- on one of those above positions created for me. I have also done a whole lot of other jobs in this town- not all museum related. The job I have right now is curatorial yet not in my academic interest field. So I still keep my eyes open, just not
as urgently.  But every job you do adds to your experience and resume- no matter what it is. It might even open up a new area you never thought you would want to do. I have a friend who temped at an insurance company while looking for that anthropology museum job and is now living
in Africa developing insurance products there- and loving it.  I have another friend who works as a volunteer co-ordinator and she says that out of all her previous jobs and internships, it was her job as a salesperson in the Nordstrom shoe department that gave her the most useful
experience.

DC is a great town for meeting different people from all over the world, seeing new things and enjoying yourself. It's full of adventures you'll never have anywhere else. It is also a place you can live in easily poor- there is alot of free stuff to do. It  has alot to offer and if
you move here, I recommend enjoying the whole city and getting out and meeting people. It's a city for young people full of dreams and excitement. I could never have imagined living anywhere else in my 20s. I might not be in the exact place in my career I had planned to be right
now, but I am having a great time and have wonderful friends.

Museum work is a calling, not a career choice. You do it because you need to and are willing to make all the sacrifices needed to pursue it.  It is not a field you go into for the money or the early retirement to France. You will have to make some hard choices if you do pursue it,
but in the end it is full of personal rewards and happiness.

That being said- I know of some positions around town, so you can contact me off list.

Pamela Feltus
Historian
The History Factory