From:
Timothy Sheesley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2007 13:59:00 -0400
Hi Laura,

I have been working on a research project with lanternslides.  I am using these slides   to create photogravure like polymer plate intaglio prints.  This requires a really sharp high res scan.  I’ve found that the best scan results by separating the two glass panes.  The emulsion on these slides has been directly developed on the glass.  Place the emulsion side down in a film scanner so that the back lighting projects the sharpest image to the scanner.  This will likely result in reverse image that can be easily flipped in Photoshop.   If you scan these say at 3600 dpi.  You can create a very good image at say 30”x40” which is what these slides were meant to project and even larger.

There are issues of disturbing the original package, which may be problematic for some. However the images are preserved and viewable and can be used for printing or PowerPoint presentations etc.   I have found that in the slides I’ve worked with the black paper mat between the two pieces of glass has prevented the transfer of the emulsion into the facing glass plate.

Best of luck.

Tim

Timothy P. Sheesley
Gallery Director