From:
Wayne LaBar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jan 1995 00:11:49 -0500
Here at a technological museum/ science center, the difference between theme
parks and museums is a key isssue as we develop new exhibitry.  I think that
although the differences are blurring between the two types of facilities
there are at this point still some differences.

Educational: Despite the increase in educational offerings, I would believe
that a theme park would state: "People are here to have fun and sometimes
they learn something."  Museum place their emphasis on education first, fun
second, as witnessed by many mission statements.  I also think museums excell
at this point because they meet a need that is local or regional.  There
probably won't be a theme park in every school district, nor can they tailor
programs for every group that might travel there.

Perception:  At this point, I think people perceive museums as places where
the facts are, and now sometimes where issues are disucssed.  Eric, I think
that you are are right that museums are trying to tap into a part of our
brains that theme parks dare not tread due to there mission.

Real:  Museums have also traditionally been where you could go to see the
"real" things.  Despite the Disney history park fiasco it seems that museums
will still be where society stashes its relics.

I think that it is important that museum not move too far towards
entertainment ain an attempt to appeal to more visitors.  We will never have
the money to compete against Disney and we should build on our strengths of
education, real things and making people think.

Wayne LaBar
Tech Museum of Innovation
San Jose
Wayne [log in to unmask]