From:
Geoffrey Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jan 1996 18:11:45 EST
>Brian Kimsey-Hickman <[log in to unmask]> wrote on 29 Dec 1995:
>... I have be given the daunting task of having to create "Operational
Performance Measures" for >our institution.  This will be criteria upon which
our instituion will be evaluated by our governing >county municipality and will
affect our budget for years to come.

Performance indicators are used in many public-sector museums in the UK and it
may be of interest to record two official reports which contributed much to
their introduction to local authority and national museums:

Audit Commission for Local Authorities ... in England and Wales_ The Road to
Wigan Pier?  Managing Local Authority Museums and Art Galleries_, HMSO, London,
1991;

Office of Arts and Libraries _ Report on the Development of Performance
Indicators for the
National Museums and Galleries_, OAL, London, 1991.

If the UK scene is significant, Brian, I can supply other references which is
probably best done off-list.

Geoffrey Lewis
Internet:[log in to unmask]