From:
Stephen Nowlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jan 1998 12:41:27 -0800
A website designer is needed at Art Center of Design.

Art Center College of Design, an internationally-recognized leader in art
and design education, is located in sunny Pasadena, California, on 175
acres of native hillside overlooking the famous Rose Bowl.  Housed in an
architectural landmark International Style building two miles from
Caltech's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, with views of the San Gabriel
Mountains outside and hordes of very talented student artists,
illustrators, photographers, filmmakers, car designers, graphic designers,
and multimedia designers inside, it is a very energetic place.  We need a
bright graphic designer to help us with a complete makeover of our old
website.  (Which is gone, replaced by a very temporary placeholder at
www.artcenter.edu).

Actually, we're pretty much starting over again at square-1, so this is a
great opportunity for someone.

Qualifications that would help a successful candidate are:
knowledge of art and design history in the 20th C. (and some informed
vision about the 21st); a BFA or MFA in art or design tells us something
(but certainly not everything); solid experience in web design with an
online book we can visit;  real skill with all the usual suspects --
Photoshop, Illustrator, BBEdit, Debabelizer, .gif animations, experience
with the WYSIWYGs, and so on.  A big, BIG + for us is someone who knows
HTML from having written it, understands browser conflicts, has worked with
forms and CGI's, javascript, and knows about the new stuff -- CSS,
Shockwave, Dhtml, XML, etc, etc.  In short, we're looking for someone with
not only a passion for good design, but also a passion for this new medium.

This is a full-time, regular position with full benefits, pay to $50K
depending on qualifications and experience.  Please note that we ARE NOT
looking for freelancers or telecommuters on this one.

Respond to Stephen Nowlin, [log in to unmask]

Stephen Nowlin
Vice President
Art Center College of Design
1700 Lida Street