Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 23:45:48 -0800
Kerry Carlin-Morgan wrote:

> Good Morning Everyone,
>
> Has anyone ever seen any articles, books, etc. on how museums
> contribute to the economic development or the quality of life of a
> community?  We would like to build a new museum and these are some of
> the questions that may be asked.  I appreciate your help.  Kerry
>
> Dr. Kerry A Carlin Morgan
> Curator of Exhibits and Outreach
> Georgia Museum of Natural History
> University of Georgia
> Athens, GA 30602-1882
> 706-542-2280

> Important Subscriber Information:
>
>                                                                               . You may obtain detailed information about the listserv commands by sending a one line e-mail message to [log in to unmask]

To begin with, I would suggest that you check

1.  Martin Feldstein's book 1991, "The Economics of Art Museums"
2.  Port Authority of NY and NY and the Cultural Assistance Center, Inc,
(1983). The Arts as an Industry: Their Economic Importance to the New
York-New Jersey Metropolitan Region.

and ...I am a bit vague on the third reference but remember reading a
report produced by the State of Californa (a government publication)
that studied the effects art museums have on tourism and economics.
This report was produced more than a decade ago.

Hope these few references will lead to more discoveries. Best wishes,
Hanna