From:
Belinda Nickles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Oct 1998 18:44:18 -0400
Eastern Illinois University has a wonderful accredited museum studies program for graduate students.  It is for one year instead of the usual two years and was set up this way so that people already working in the museum field could take a reasonable sabbatical from their positions to get their degree.  They will, however, take people with no museum background (I am a good example).  The classes are small (10 full-time students and 2 part-timers when I was there), but you make lifelong bonds and have a wonderful network through past graduates.  The work schedule is hectic and sometimes very hard, especially if you have no museum experience, but it is well worth it.  I landed a job as a department head in a middle size museum only one year out of grad school because the director had heard so many good things about the program's graduates.

Belinda Nickles