From:
Brad Holderman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jun 2007 12:22:05 -0700
Shannon,

These kind of things as you have found can quickly get
messy and disorganized as you are finding.

Jpeg is the most common filetype, but quality-wise
uncompressed tifs are optional, but large.  Over time,
my knowledge of Past Perfect is getting rather rusty.
That said, these type of scenarios commonly call for
multipe keyword searched and referencing.  Thus, any
database created (ie. SQL server, Oracle, Visual
Basic) shold be generated wigh each object as an
individual item (accession number?), cross referenced
with, date, subject, etc.  Specific forms can be
written to input information, edit, etc.

You also need to consider the central location and
back up.  DVD/CD/servers should be used as storage and
backup, not as the working environment, this should be
confined to a server.  DVD/CD back-up requires a
manual process,which can lead to scheduling problems
and again, develop into a disorganization problem.  A
second external drive that automatically backs up
nightly is out preferred scenario.

But, though expereince there have been disasters in
the past.  A redundant system burned out so badly it
caused the back-up to burn out.  A cd set would have
been nice.  Or another option, offsite server storage.
Idon't have a lot of expereience here, but its an
offsite storage server, if you server fails, or your
entire building burns down, there is at least a copy
of everything located elswhere.

But start with paper, sketch out your taxanomic
approach to how the database should look.  I'm a big
fan of MS Access simply because it comes with MS
Office and is driven by Visual Basic. Database
packages like SQL Server and Oracle can cost a pretty
penny.

--- Shannon Lindridge
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I am looking for suggestions and examples of how to
> organize digital images.
> Our institution over the past few years has
> accumulated, in no systemactic
> order, a large number of digital images of objects,
> photographs, and archival
> materials.  The files are currently housed on the
> server, in an assortment of
> folders.  I would like to remove these images from
> the server and burn them on
> to CD's/DVD's with a system set in place to to be
> able search and determine if
> a digital image has been made and retrieve it rather
> easily. I want this system
> to also help organize future digital images which
> are created.
>
> In addition to setting up a system, are digital
> images saved as Tiff, jpeg, or
> another file type?  What DPI?  Are several sizes of
> the image saved or just
> one?
>
> We currently PastPerfect 4 and can attach images,
> and maybe that is the
> easiest method.  But, I know we are not the only
> institution who has
> accumulated digital images, and I'm interested to
> hear how other institutions
> have delt with this.
>
> Thank-you,
>
> Shannon Lindridge, Collections Manager
> Tha History Center in Tompkins County
> Ithaca, NY 14850

> Important Subscriber Information:
>
> The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
> http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/ . You may
> obtain detailed information about the listserv
> commands by sending a one line e-mail message to
> [log in to unmask] . The body of the
>
> If you decide to leave Museum-L, please send a one
> line e-mail message to [log in to unmask]
> . The body of the message should read "Signoff
> Museum-L" (without the quotes).

Cheers,

Brad Holderman
619.994.6686
"Dear Jack, We have a ship, Surprise, for the East Indies, and must join at Plymouth instantly..."

You can find me at: