From:
"J./B. Moore" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Nov 1999 11:05:39 -0500
> Museum facilities management seems to offer the "happy professional life" I
> seek -- somewhat of an architecture and facilities management hybrid that
> combines the architect's appreciation for the arts and sciences with the
> facility manager's knack for problem solving and project management.  (What
> the institution of the museum offers to our collective societal heritage, and
> the pride one might gain from associating one's self with such an honorable
> task, goes without saying in this particular email.)
>
> Any ideas?  All responses are most certainly welcome.

This all sounds very nice, however, you will find that unless the
institution is very large and well-funded no such position actually
exists with the words "facilities management" (which tend to focus more
on day-to-day facilities needs such as buildings and grounds
maintenancem, equipment servicing, etc., fine and a great skill in
itself but doesn't sound like what you are looking for) attached to
them.

You might, instead, look for something in the way of a "museum planning"
position, where you would get to help work out expansion plans, building
renovations, etc. in conjunction with those who determine the museum's
programming. Again, these are found in large and well-funded museums and
they are consequently few, far between, and very competitive to get.

Have you thought about independently consulting to smaller museums that
would need your services on a short-term basis?  Or working with a
museum consulting firm?  Send your resume to such firms--you might have
a nibble of interest if your record is good.

I really admire those in planning positions and I think they have the
best of both worlds--knowing programs in advance without dealing with
the daily drudgery of administering them, but able to provide the
programs with the attractive and functional facilities they need in
order to ensure their success.

Julia Moore
Directorof Exhibitions and Artist Services
Indianapolis Art Center

Museum-L" (without the quotes).