From:
Adrienne DeAngelis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Aug 2008 15:32:34 -0700
 I'm sorry, I thought that I had written: "many (museums) have special days
when you can bring in art for evaluation." There have, over the several
years I have been subscribed to this list, a number of curators and museum
workers who have written about such special (often once a year) evaluation
days. They've also made it plain that they don't do financial estimates of
the object's worth. If that's not your museum, then you should be able to
inform the curious that they need to go elsewhere. BTW, I used to get all
sorts of vague inquiries to my Web sites from folks who had works of art
they couldn't identify, ie, "I have this painting, it's round and has lots
of brown in it. Do you know what it is?" with no images. I had to put up a
disclaimer. What is needed, of course, is that all citizens should be
required to take lots of art history courses and learn how to do
elementary research (that, for the credulous, was a joke).
 Alan Fausel, with whom I worked several years ago in California, has an
extensive knowledge of American painting, among other areas. He's also a
very decent sort, although I hope for his sake that not everyone writes
to him with their maybe-Hudson River School paintings!

Adrienne DeAngelis, Editor
(http://www.efn.org/~acd/resources.html)

On Thu, August 14, 2008 1:01 pm, Jill Chancey wrote:
> I would actually suggest NOT showing up at a museum with a painting and
> expecting someone to be able to drop everything they're doing and assist
> with an identification. We are not the Antiques Roadshow. [etc]

> I don't mind clicking on a link for a colleague, in this context, just to
> eyeball a digital image.  It takes seconds, and I *chose* to click the
> link.  That's a different matter entirely. Jill R. Chancey, PhD Curator
> Lauren Rogers Museum of Art PO Box 1108 Laurel, MS 39441-1108
> www.LRMA.org [log in to unmask]
>
> Adrienne DeAngelis wrote:      Looks like Hudson River School--a style
> that began in the mid-19th century not all that far from where you are
> located. There appear to be a number of unidentifiable landscapes from
> unidentifiable artists of that "school", and there are artists currently
> painting in that style, so this is not necessarily 19th century.   I
> would suggest taking it a museum and ask for help: many have special days
> when you can bring in art for evaluation. You could also contact the
> Antiques Roadshow and their excellent Alan Fausel
> (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/appraisers/fausel_alan.html)  Adrienne
> DeAngelis [log in to unmask]

On Thu, August 14, 2008 11:27 am, Patrick