From:
Robert Lopata <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 03:44:25 PDT
During the recent discussion of the Brooklyn Art Museum exhibition
difficulties I have been reminded of the real value of this list in
providing a forum for the issues which effect all of us in museums. At times
like these museum professionals are lucky that they are as organized as they
are.

I don't want to sway development of this discussion away from the
fundamental issues, but would like interject an issue which has received
relatively slight attention. What about the under seventeen audience?

I work at a university museum which is facing a similar issue with the
presentation of photography exhibition which is sure to draw criticism and
be labelled "graphic" and "pornographic." We have the convenient loophole of
having our mission statement specifically place university age students as
our primary audience, followed by the greater community, with children
falling toward the bottom of the hierarchy. Still exhibitions which
specifically exclude any portion of our audience are troubling. This is a
much greater problem at a public museum where no such hierarchy is likely to
exist is such clear terms.

I'd like to know how listers feel this issue fits into the current problems
in Brooklyn and with the Mayor.

Rob Lopata