From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Apr 2004 10:51:27 -0700
Deb, I would rather move, on, BUT . . . in the
interest of fairness in how the topic got skewed, I'd
like you to maybe consider some of your responses to
this:

Look at how you responded to Jennifer Urhane:
Hold on a minute tex, you don't know if the "war
booty" that the soldiers are
bringing back was even looted in the first place.
SNIP
So please, don't jump to conclusions and demonize US
soldiers as treasure
hunting opportunists.

Calling her tex was demeaning, and jumping to the
defense of the soldiers when I don't think there was
any need to defend them . . . the thread was largely
policing itself, is unfair.  Now you're censoring
Ldewey's comments (as, I suppose, I am censoring yours
only because I believe there is so much political
baggage attached to the subject that it is now going
afield of the original request).

There's a lot of political heat attached to the topic.
 Ldewey was correct.  You were correct.  That your
positions may seem in opposition of one another is
another matter.

It's been interesting to see what little the soldiers
are allowed to return these days.  However, if we
think in terms of repatriation, should that be so
surprising, really?

You have a history here of touting the soldiers and
their beleagured families.  Your patriotism is
admirable.  But this is a multinational list with
folks who do not feel the same way, including some of
your own countrypersons.  History (of this list) has
shown that every time we pepper it with politics, all
hell breaks loose.

It just seems to me that the original poster got the
answer, and the rest is evolving into collateral
damage.

It's probably a better idea to move on, that's all.
Mom, flag, and apple pie are all good.  Everybody has
had a mom of some sort, a flag, but some would rather
take their apples and throw them at one another in the
interest of "being right" rather than to make pie.

I'll take the pie, please, a la mode!

> I responded to person C to please take that kind of
> attitude off the list which
> was also directed to everyone else. As supposed
> objective museum professionals,
> it's getting old to see people posting such
> irrelevant strong personal opinions
> Whether or not soldiers are
> trigger-happy, treasure hunters, or just following
> orders has no bearing on the
> museum policy question and shouldn't have been
> included in the discussion to
> begin with which I tried to point out in my
> wasn't clear enough. I too get a little hot under
> the collar when I see people
> jump to conclusions about a group of people of any
> type - soldiers, civilians,
> or space aliens.

=====
Indigo Nights

Looking for a Job?  Try Got Links?, Your One-Stop Portal
http://victorian.fortunecity.com/stanmer/414