Date:
Tue, 15 Oct 1996 00:31:42 -0400
The question of sponsorship of exhibits, programs, etc., is certainly one of
accountability, however, the tone of the posts on this topic suggest that the
NY Historical Society is guilty of some crime.  Perhaps, but until we have
more information, we should not assume as much.

My point is that the some respondents to this thread are making some
assumptions that may not be accurate.  More information on this is needed
before any of us should go off half-cocked talking about a return to 18th and
19th century museums where the elite had primary control of most museums.
 That one cash starved facility in New York (which is not, by the way, the
Center of the Universe) MAY have "sold out" does not suggest that is the way
that all museums are going to seek funding and support for exhibits in the
future.

Of course corporate sponsorship CAN be a problem--but it is also an
opportunity if we seek intelligent and thoughtful uses for the funding.  I
don't want the folks at IBM writing label text either, but their's is
certainly an important contribution to the interpretation of the late 20th
century.  Should we leave them out of our work?

Another portion of this thread bothers me.  If we can't address the lives of
the "super-rich" in museum exhibits, are we not failing to discuss a
relatively important late 20th century topic?  After all, if the gap between
the "haves and have-nots" is widening (and I think we can safely make that
assumption based on all the figures coming out of every political camp,)
don't we have an obligation to try and understand the phenomenon?  The idea
for the exhibit at the New York Historical Society may be based on the need
for cash--but if done properly, can be very informative and important when
interpreting the history of New York.

We need more information before we condemn--so how 'bout it NYHS?  Come out
and tell us a little more about this exhibit.......

Jay Smith
Reno County Museum
Hutchinson, Kansas

_________
The opinions expressed here are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of
the folks who authorize my paychecks.
_________