From:
cathyosterman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 2006 08:45:40 -0700
A museum I formerly worked at got into some serious trouble
after a dumpster diver found something accidentally thrown
into the trash. No one could account for how it ended up in
the trash and the dumpster diver took it all the way to the
county commissioners as a protest of how museum items were
being treated at this particular institution. It all
happened just before I was hired but it blemished the
institution, and from then on, anything resembling an
artifact  was taken off site to be destroyed so that the
association with the museum was not made.

That's an extreme situation, but things like that happen. My
policy has always been to find artifacts a good home in
another institution, if possible. In the rare instances
where this is not possible and the objects should be
destroyed, I always take them off site of the museum and do
it, just to avoid any possible issue the public may have if
the item is "found." Can someone go through my trash at home
as it sits on the curb? Sure, but the link to the museum and
where the items came from won't be made that way. It just
seems like good policy to avoid the appearance to the public
that anything unethical is going on inside the museum. As
museum people, we know why we're doing the things that we
do, but the public may not. I've always tried to be cautious
about things like that when an object can't be placed in a
good home.

Cathy Osterman
Curator of Collections
CFD Old West Museum