From:
Lucy Sperlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2007 16:25:54 -0700
Steve,

Your comments are right on!  Thanks for taking the time to articulate it
this way.

I'd just like to add that innumerable times I've had people from local
theater groups, University theater, etc., ask to borrow items and as we
converse it becomes apparent that they, like many people, mistakenly believe
that a museum is simply a 'library' of artifacts and thus expect that they
can check artifacts out as if they were books!! Add to this the fact that
numerous small local museums are housed in old Carnegie libraries that the
local library has outgrown. I have had a local library director refer the
museum as 'the library'; a friend who continually would ask me '...and how
are things going at the library?' and a surprising number of other folks in
the community making similar reference to 'the library' when they mean the
museum!  Is it any wonder there is surprise when we won't loan things....
perhaps they perceive us as simply a stingy library?  :-)

Given the number of places that call themselves "Museum" (a local bar in
Oregon; private 'museums' that are simply personal collections in someone's
spare room, theme park type attractions, etc.) it seems like some broad
education on a national level might be in order. This also seems to fit with
the recent debate about the 'Creation Museum' and whether or not the museum
field should be stepping up to disclaim entities using the name museum when
they are not. How do we maintain integrity for our institutions in the
confusion?

Lucy Sperlin
Butte County Historical Society Museum
Oroville, CA