Date:
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 07:27:37 -0400

>[log in to unmask] writes:
>
><< (Rarely does volunteering translate into a job.) >>

I have to agree with David Haberstich that this is not always true. I
have shared this with the list before, but I was hired as a director of
a municipal historic house museum based on my college intern experience
at a museum in NYC. My background is that of an artist and arts educator
along with volunteer fundraising, special events chair and board member
but the internship counted as museum experience. However what may relate
to the above, I was once advised not to be a docent at a particular
museum if I was seeking employment there, because it was unlikely to
'move up' in the eyes of the establishment.

This past summer, I volunteered to be a facilitator for the "Listen to
the City" summit in NYC for the rebuilding of Lower Manhattan. But for
me it was an honor to feel that I could contribute to the healing and
rebuilding of the city we all love. It was easy for me because I am from
NJ, but folks came from all 50 states and several foreign countries to
contribute to the effort as well. When an email came for help to help
facilitate additional town meetings in the 5 boroughs, I volunteered to
assist at two meetings. Again it was a great experience for these were
more intimate gatherings than the several thousand of people at the
initial summit. And unexpectedly, it ended up that I was compensated for
assisting at the additional two meetings afterall.

No matter what position you end up in, what will define you the most and
insure your success is not your education, your expertise, but your
people skills and how you relate to others. Volunteering can be both
proactive involvment and a great networking opportunity. Make it your
laboratory--observe the culture, what are its strengths, what about it
is unique, talk to people and above all ask questions, of not just the
personnel, but the end users because it is there where you see the
outcomes of what we are all about.

Good luck and never, never, never,  give up.

Terri McNichol
Ren Associates
Museum Consultants and Cultural Planning
Princeton NJ