From:
"Ross Weeks Jr." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Mar 1997 20:19:27 -0500
A professional fundraiser who does the job right, motivates and organizes
the volunteers and keeps them pepped up so THEY get the job done.  Raising
money is not just about the dollars received, it is thought, but about
building longer range and reliable relationships that can be counted on to
help in the future.   I've known "fundraisers" who -- in reaching the goal
-- end up making everyone angry in the process.  The next time there's an
effort to raise money, the goodwill just isn't there.  So, I guess it
follows, a negotiated fee is paid to organize, motivate, and follow up when
the staff doesn't have time or the ability.  If the institution's core
volunteers aren't well enough respected to get people to respond to their
work, then the institution has a more serious problem.

It's usually very difficult for an imported fundraiser (or PR man or anyone
else) to drop into a constituency and work as if there is a science
involved, within a deadline, without working through people who are
trusted.
Ross Weeks