From:
"Janice B. Klein" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2000 11:24:18 -0600
>At the risk of being rude...why does this type of query go to the entire
list and not just Harry?  [If I do not know the answer I have to ask the
question.]

It's not a rude question, but an interesting one that speaks to the
different ways in which we view the Internet.   For many, the Internet is a
place to find information.   For others the Internet, and the various
special interest lists in particular, have become another source of
professional support where not just information is shared, but personal
relationships are formed (or continued from conferences or telephone calls).
In Harry's case, the various "thank you's" (mine included) were like
electronic toasts that we would have offered if we had been physically
present at Harry's retirement party.  It's just another way of publicly
acknowledging a valued colleague's work.

Hope that helps.

Janice

Janice Klein
Director, Mitchell Museum of the American Indian, Kendall College