From:
Sharon Koomler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 2005 15:57:11 EST
Well,

This has been interesting especially in light of the fact that for the 2004
season I was able to purchase and provide my seasonal interpretive staff with
"uniform" polo shirts with recognizable logo on them. Every staff person was
delighted and proud to wear the shirt. They remarked that they felt more like a
team, that they were obviously recognizable as Museum Staff, and that they
were able to wear something that was not available for purchase in the store.
(There were other products in the Museum Store that bore the same logo, but not
the specific polo shirts worn by the staff.

Previously there had been a color preference for dress code, but not
necessarily style. Without an obvious name tag, staff members looked like the visiting
public, and felt like they did not stand out.  I am pleased to report how
happy they were to receive the shirts.  We provided two for each, and also had
surplus for sale at cost if so desired.

I really don't think that expecting staff members to behave or dress in a
particular way is insulting or unfair. Policies are usually provided to employees
upon acceptance of a position, and it is then that the employee should decide
whether or not it is going to offend them to follow the rules. I agree that
administration can best serve the public if they also best serve the "front
line" staff, but as has been mentioned, it's rare that these rules are abruptly
changed and without consideration for the good of all.

just an aside, I attended parochial schools and lamented wearing a uniform
until the end of each year when we were allowed to wear almost anything - within
limits.  Each morning I then labored over just what to wear and how it
looked. Oh, today, how I wish for the days of uniforms!

Sharon Duane Koomler
Shaker Museum and Library
Old Chatham and Mount Lebanon, New York