From:
Carol Kocian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 May 2003 18:42:18 -0000
     Interesting glossary, and yes, unfortunately some phrases do illustrate
the bigotry of those who use them.  I'm unfamiliar with some of the terms, and
suspect they may come from different eras of reenactment (I primarily do the
American Revolution), and I do have some comments/additions:

> Authentic: A descriptive status denoting an artifact or antique.

     Also "authenticity" is used to denote whether someone's repro item is
appropriate to the period being portrayed.  "Her clothing is very authentic"
would be about someone who has accurate repros, not that she's wearing
antiques.

> Buttoncounter: A pejorative term for 'Hardcore' costumed interpreters for
> undue attention to detail.

     I've heard thread counters and button pissers, the latter theoretically a
practice of treating buttons with urine to give them a good patina.

     The Oooooh! factor - what you cause for showing off an item or practice
that is above & beyond what most reenactors have or do.  An entire hand-
stitched garment when machine-stitched interior seams are generally used.
Having an item made by a renowned craftsman who rarely takes commissions.
Interpreting a new tidbit of information.

> Stitchnazi: A pejorative for a person who is concerned not only for the
> right pattern and cloth, but also the number of stitches to the inch, type
> of stitching, and correct thread; a person who values accuracy more than
> education.

     Costume Nazi or Authenticity Nazi is what I've heard - genrally someone
who will ridicule someone else for not having an authentic a costume or
impression.  Much discussion concerns those who offer unsolicited advice, and
whether it's kindly helping or boosting one's ego by pointing out someone
else's shortcomings.  Unfortunately the term is sometimes thrown at those who
are interested in improving their own impression, which leads to staying quiet,
and then accusations of being one of those snobby reenactors who won't share
their research.  *Sigh*, once the name-calling starts, you just can't win.

> Tourons: A pejorative for tourists bent on not learning anything, or bent on
> debunking the interpretation, or in general disrupting the interpretive
> program; a derisive term not to be used lightly. Viz. Tourist and Moron.

     Visitron, coined just earlier this week by Joseph Ruckman on the RevList.
Our heads were filled with visions of animatronic visitors, and someone posted
a song to the tune of "It's a Small World".  :-)

     Unfortunately some will use the term "touron" for all visitors, not just
for the really bad cases.  I asked earlier about visitors touching things -
thanks all for your responses!  What I find are some reenactors who do not like
dealing with the visitors, think they're an intrusive bother, and the reenactor
wants to be left alone to their hobby.  We're usually invited to a site to
enhance it, though, which means we're "on" for the visitors.

     I was interested to see the number of terms in the glossary referring to
interpretive techniques.  I think more reenactors should at least understand
these techniques, even if they do not practice all of them.  The best defense
against the rude visitor is a good offense - if we greet the visitor they are
less likely to treat us as furniture.  If we maintain a protective posture with
our historic possessions, they are less likely to pick them up.  Any other
thoughts along this line?

     Thanks!
     -Carol