From:
Melissa Washburn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 09:01:42 -0500
Hello List Colleagues,

I am doing some research on art museum exhibitions/installations that
have reinterpreted permanent collection materials by grouping objects by
theme or formal qualities rather than traditional curatorial divisions.
For example, I know there are some museums that have displayed textiles,
dec arts, and painting/sculpture from a particular culture or time
period together to tell a specific story--exhibits that show the
cross-currents between art objects from different times and places or
those that were made for similar reasons or with a similar purpose.

I am very interested in how these types of exhibitions have been
received both by the public (whether through newspaper reviews, visitor
evaluations, etc.) and by the museum community.

If any of you have experience with this type of approach to
collections, or can suggest some museums and/or specific exhibitions
that have, I would greatly appreciate the input.

Thank you,

Melissa Washburn
Exhibitions Coordinator/Project Assistant

Indianapolis Museum of Art
4000 Michigan Road
Indianapolis, Indiana 46208
phone (317) 923-1331 x287