From:
Leonard Will <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jul 2005 15:40:21 +0100
In message <[log in to unmask]> on Sun, 17 Jul 2005,
Margo Arnold <[log in to unmask]> wrote
>Is there an industry standard way to label panintings. decorative arts
>in display cases?
>
>We just installed some paintings, prints, photographs and jewelry in a
>display case here.
>
>For instance, should the label be on the left or the right of the
>artwork?

I don't think it is crucial whether the label is to the left or right of
the object, so long as it is clear which object it relates to.
Consistency of placing helps, though.

Much more serious mistakes which I still see in new exhibitions are:

*   Labels printed on transparent material and mounted on the glass of
the display case, so that they cannot be read against the background of
the objects inside.

*   Labels printed in low-contrast colours (pale blue on grey or pale
yellow on brown)

*   Labels insufficiently illuminated to allow them to be read

*   Labels mounted vertically at knee-height so that you have to crouch
down to read them. Even if they are tilted backwards they are still too
far away if you are at all short-sighted.

Leonard Will
--
Willpower Information       (Partners: Dr Leonard D Will, Sheena E Will)
Information Management Consultants              Tel: +44 (0)20 8372 0092