From:
Dean DeBolt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Sep 1994 12:36:32 CDT
An interesting advertising gimmick is often a contest to find the oldest
still-running Maytag or Plymouth Voyager with the greatest mileage on it.
It is often a great source for advertising memorabilia depending on the rules
of the contest---some only want written entries with photograph, in others
you have to submit with right of return, and sometimes submit with no return
ever.   Personally I really don't believe there is going to be great harm
to museum collections from the Listerine bottle hunt, which I've not heard
about until now.   If I had a museum and had a bottle, I'd submit the entry
on behalf of the museum....would get great publicity (use it in your own
inhouse newsletter) and funds if you won.

Dean DeBolt, Special Collections
University of West Florida, Pensacola