From:
Pamela Sezgin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 11:22:29 EST
Right on target, Ross Weeks!

It is also so difficult with well -intentioned board members who want to give
away the baby with the bathwater, if only the funder gives the money!    We
all know board members who would turn our museums into that poor zoo in the
John Clease movie!   We have to work constantly with the board, educating
them about the fact that we should not make promises that we cannot keep.
Certain board members only think about the money and not the strings
attached.   Of course, they never consider that building a solid financial
base takes time, much in the same way that it takes at least 2 to 3 years to
establish a small business.

Small grants, successfully accomplishing projects that support the museum's
mission, and eventually trying to build an endowment -- this takes years for
small museums -- are the tried and true ways of financial stability.

pamela sezgin

Museum-L" (without the quotes).