From:
Paul Apodaca <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 1996 10:40:05 -0800
I agree that AAM needs to address these issues. They are conspicuous in
their silence so far in this long discussion. Two years ago at the
California Association of Museums meeting in San Diego there was an
attempt to discuss the value of employees and the importance of their
roles and value to the museum.  There was little enthusiasm for the topic
at that time. I do think that the organizations that represent themselves
as leaders and set standards should be concerned about the standards
necessary for employees to be treated well by this profession.
Accreditation should also mean that there is fair treatment of employees.
Museums often are speaking with the split tongue when they allude to
the maintenance of standards and professionality and then foster an
atmosphere that does not hold directors and boards accountable for the
fair treatment of employees who are generally highly qualified and dedicated.

Paul Apodaca