From:
Diane Gutenkauf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 2006 13:40:53 -0500
Pam,
You've completely missed the point and you are wrong. The volunteer
overstepped his bounds, acted improperly, and probably is in violation of the
museum's ethics and collections policies.

The volunteer wasn't "put in the awkward position" --he put himself there.
The museum made a well reasoned and conscious decision to deaccession by
disposal of inappropriate material. The volunteer had NO business interfering.
Then he made the completely inappropriate decision to pawn the material off
on another museum and misrepresented himself and the donor of the
collection. These are actionable offenses.

If this volunteer had a problem with his institution's policies and proceedures,
he should have taken the matter up with 1st his supervisor and 2nd with
museum administration.

And I reiterate...The museum did nothing wrong and has nothing for which it
must take responsibility...other perhaps than retraining that volunteer as to
what constitutes proper ethical practice.

Diane

...snip...