From:
Menya Wolfe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Sep 1994 21:43:25 -0400
> Hello Group,
>
> There is one way to cut down on the number of messages appearing in your
> mailbox each day. You can send a one line message to listserv@unmvma (bitnet)
> or [log in to unmask] (internet). The message should read:
>
> set museum-l digest
>
> This will get you all the postings in one nice message. Although the traffic
> has gone up on this list, so has the quality of discussion, for the most part.
>
> --john chadwick

I don't think you are responding to the needs of the group here.  I
don't want to read subscribe and unsubscribe messages, personal
messages, bounced mail messages... Reading the list as a digest would
be worse -- I couldn't choose to skip the annoying messages as easily.
I think the default on replies should be the individual rather than
the group.  It is an easy change to make, and would reduce the number
of meaningless messages I need to wade through every day.  Or the move
to a newsgroup could be sped up.  There is just too much traffic here
for a mailing list, and despite the relevance to my degree, I'm
getting ready to send my own unsubscribe message.

I've been on other mailing lists, and they didn't have these problems.
I'm not sure where to lay the blame, but things need to change if this
forum is to grow and remain useful.  Has anyone else wondered *why*
all these people are signing off?

Menya Wolfe