From:
Ginny Cass <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Aug 1997 10:50:14 -0700
MR JAY S SMITH wrote:

> Fellow Listers:
>
> I am aware that Congress is now debating the fate of the
> ISTEA program--possibly replacing it with NEXTEA.  I have
> two questions for which I am asking your help:
>
> 1. Do any of you have first hand knowledge of museums,
> cultural organizations, heritage organizations, or
> preservation organizations that have received ISTEA funds
> for projects?  If so, would you pleas post some details to
> me via my e-mail address (or on the list if other L-ers are
> interested.)  Also, if you know of sources which address
> this issue, please let me know.
>
> 2.  What are the ramifications of NEXTEA for museums, etc.?
> I have heard that some legislators refer to ISTEA projects
> as "pork" that they want to trim from the federal budget.
>
> Maybe Andy Finch or an AAM rep can help with these
> questions.  Anyway, thanks in advance for your comments.
>
> Jay Smith
> Reno County Museum
> Hutchinson, Kansas

The Historical Museum at Fort Missoula, located at Missoula, MT has
rec'd ISTEA funds to rennovate a trolley car.  Because it is a county
museum located inside the city limits, it was able to work closely with
the city/county Transportation Policy Planning Committee, a group that
consists of city mayor, a county commissioner, state Dept. of
Transportation administrator, etc.  (While its location may not seem
pertinent to fellow listers in metro areas, you need to know that
Missoula is the only incorporated town/city in the entire - and rather
large - county.)

Ginny Cass
President, Board of Directors
Northern Rockies Heritage Center