From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 May 2007 15:10:04 -0700
I just want to define something here. When I talk about mythology or
myth I mean it in the sense of Joseph Campbell - that it a myth is a
truth that is believed and not simply a story that is not a fact.

I think that it is rather presumptuous for some to say that Native
Americans or other cultural traditions see thier creation stories and
mythology as anything less than fact within their beliefs when
compared to those who espouse the judeo-christian myth of creation.

Different people and different cultures and societies can have very
different notions of "reality". I believe in science as a system that
does very well in observing and describing nature and its fundementals
- but it may never answer the "Why" that religions and philosophies
answer in their various "myths".

Cheers!
Dave