From:
"Emily C. Milot" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2007 13:37:43 -0500
Thank you to everyone who has written in with tales about how they have gotten
their jobs.  And thank you to those who have written in to commisserate with
me!  I appreciate it.

A few people have asked me what my speciality is, which is somewhat hard to nail
down, actually.  I have been working with a small history institution for over
10 years now, and so my training has been as a jack of all trades in many ways.
 Although I think that my title is technically "volunteer curatorial assistant,"
I have done registrar duties, helped in the archives and library as well as
planning and researching exhibits and installing them in the museum's spaces.
My educational background is in history.  I have a M.A. in American history and
will have another Master's in Museum Studies before too long.

Many people have mentioned also that I should consider moving -- stretching my
search nationally.  The problem with that, as many of you might know, is that
when you're married (or soon will be in my case) it's not always feasible to
uproot the whole family and move to another part of the country.  We are
considering a move, but due to retirement and financial planning (someone else
mentioned that I should start planning that now -- believe me, I have been
counting my retirement pennies!) my fiance would like to keep a job with the
government for a little while longer at least.  And that also limits the places
where we could move because of the kind of job that he does.

As far as the living wage discussion goes -- I think that this is something that
the museum community really has to discuss thoroughly.  The truth is that the
cost of living is only going up, and even though this is my passion, I need to
be able to eat.  I don't want to seem like I'm not willing to work or that I'm
being unreasonable.  In the past three years, I've had an average of 2 jobs at
any one time.  This summer, I even juggled three.  But I know that my employers
did not get the best performance out of me because I had to work so much just to
break even.  I know that the museum's mission should be tied to their collection
and/or educational goals, but someone has to start talking about the museum's
responsibility to its employees and mentoring future employees.  If it is true
that the Boomer generation is going to start leaving the profession before
long, then what are they going to leave in their wake if they haven't trained
the next level of museum professionals to do their jobs?

I know that I've babbled a little bit, but I did want to respond to the
questions that I had been asked.  I sort of feel towards the museum profession
the way I used to feel towards men before I met my fiance.  Is there a
Match.com for museum professionals?  Because it's the only thing that worked
for me when I was looking for a date! :)

Emily

--
Emily C. Milot
2281 Fieldstone Drive