From:
Julie Collins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Sep 1998 16:17:29 -0500
At 04:46 PM 9/15/1998 -0400, Alex Avdichuk wrote:
>What I'm asking is if anyone knows of any method to keep people from
>climbing on these statues.  The following methods have been tried with NO
>success:

Invisible electric fence!  It is a joke folks!  We have a Sculpture
Garden at the Block Museum and suffer this problem all the time.
In the summer the number of kids that skateboard off the
cement base of the Arp is mindboggling and we just reinstalled
our Pomodoro after months of conservation. And being on a
college campus does not help the situation.  Between
silly college pranks and posting of notices, it is a losing battle.
Don't get me wrong, I appreciate  public art and the opportunity
for audiences to experience art, but what we face here, on a
small scale, is direspect of property.  When doing school tours
we discuss the idea of public art and allow students to
experience the art.  Under this circumstance the participation
in the art is encouraged, beneficial and appreciated.

Julie Collins
Curator of Education
Mary and Leigh Block Museum of Art
Northwestern University