From:
Annita Andrick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 1996 19:34:29 +0200
My organization depends on it. We have had a number of successful
arrangements with out-of-state College Finanacial Aid Depts. as we work
together to set up Work-Study stations, out-of-state as well as at the
local universities. (Princeton, Hiram College, Kenyon College, University
of Michigan, Gannon University, Edinboro University, etc.) We are
aggressively seeking talented, mature students interested in a diversity of
work responsibilities, who are able to meet the financial criteria of the
Federal Work Study Program.
        EXAMPLES FOR THIS SUMMER
Work-study position. In an active, growing regional Library & Archives, at
the Erie History Center, located in NW PA, part of Discovery Square complex
of the ExperiERIEnce Children's Museum and the Erie Art Museum. Under the
supervision of Librarian & Archivist, work with collection of c. 1600 City
Building Inspector's Office Architectural Plans and Drawings at the History
Center. Perform some preventative preservation techniques; set up database,
analyze and abstract data from already prepared data sheets; prepare
finding aid utilizing database information; prepare information for PR and
in-house brochure for distribution to patrons.
Work-study position. Under supervision of the Librarian & Archivist,
perform final preparation steps on large archival collection of family
papers. Good analytical skills, ability to abstract, organize, type.
Important collection for the organization and research community locally.
Work-study position. Under supervision of Librarian & Archivist, perform
preservation and marking procedures on Robert J. MacDonald Great Lakes
Maritime Collection, which consists of 10,000 prints, c. 6,000 negatives,
c. 2,000 postcards, c. 2500 slides, c. 80 objects, and 300 books.
Work-study position. Battles Museums of Rural Life. Under supervision of
the Director of Interpretation, conduct research for programming, assist in
staffing two house museums, covering active program of events and
activities. Provide support to Director of Interpretation with other tasks
as needed. Diverse skills and responsibilities. Sites include the C.
Elizabeth Battles Museum, Battles Bank Museum and the "Yellow House".

PA Work-Study is a 90% 10% (organization) financial arrangement.
There is also an internship program in PA which is 50% 50% (too expensive
for us.)
Other states have different %s, and sometimes substantially different rates
of pay.

Another source not to be overlooked is the Community Services/Probation
Department. Screening is of critical importance to the success of this
arrangement. It depends on the quality of screening procedures, and the
background of the individual being considered. Careful supervision is
expected.
EXAMPLES
Shelf building; cleaning sites; care of restored historic garden; city
directory research; preparation of lists in the accessioning process; data
input.
(NOTE:This program worked much better after I became more "hard-nosed" as a
supervisor.)

We have a very small staff with rapidly growing collections and program. We
have had to think creatively to meet our goals and provide a good learning
environment.

For anyone interested in the above described Work Study positions, see your
Financial Aid Office first to see if you qualify. Please contact me if you
would like to be considered.
Annita Andrick [log in to unmask]
                       Librarian & Archivist
                       Erie History Center