From:
Eric Siegel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 1995 09:48:12 EST
   Alright, now that this S'mores thread has gotten really weird, I have
   a funny S'mores story to tell, which is even related to the Museum
   business.

   I attended (and even graduated from!) a MBA program at SUNY-Binghamton
   with a specialization in Arts Administration. We used to have very
   interesting speakers come in for seminars, including the late Michael
   Straight.  For those of you who haven't run across him, he was a very
   elegant Oxbridgian gentleman who ran the NEA -- or maybe it was the
   National Council -- for a while after Nancy Hanks. He was also
   seriously implicated in the Philby/MacClean spy stuff in England.
   After his death, it became clear that he was deeply involved in that
   spy ring.  So, this is a big time, super-sophisticated man who has
   been around the world a few times...

   After his talk we had a sherry party at the home of the director of
   the program, who was, shall we say, a bit less sophisticated. Well,
   after the sherry, what does our fearless director serve as a
   snack...Here's the nub of the story: S'MORES! I had never seen or
   heard of these before, but I'll never forget the look on Mr.
   Straight's face as our director handed him one of these gloppy
   concoctions...of course, S'more's go *so* well with vintage sherry!

   Bang went my sophisticated airs, and I wanted to crawl into a hole...

   There's the silly S'mores story. Sorry for bandwidth wasting...

   Eric Siegel