Date:
Thu, 22 Jan 1998 09:26:25 EST
      I haven't seen much of the thread regarding the classification of
Tarot cards, but the ones I have seen seem to focus on their primary iden-
tity as a pack of cards rather than as an object used to focus on the
spiritual or the arcane.  That too has its own set of problems, but how would
one classify, say, gris-gris objects or other things used in the practice of
voodoo?  What about a dousing rod?  They're not really fortune-telling or
religious objects but objects of divination.  Terminology imposed by the non-
practitioner probably won't reflect the true identity of the object, so why not
ask people who practice the type of divination in question how they refer
to their tools.  To some extent, things like this might be considered sacred
objects, but neither does "sacred" translate well into cultures where the
dominant religions are not widely practiced.  Any insights?