From:
"Robert T. Handy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Nov 1997 10:28:10 -0600
Timothy Reed wrote:

> Mr. Handy-
>         As both an Archaeologist and a Museologist, I read your response to this
> gentleman with some disappointment.  Your reply to Mr. Saldivar was a little
> bit condescending in tone, and might serve in the future to drive a wedge
> between you and your institution's constituency.  I and many others on this
> list appreciate the role of accurately recorded data from archaeological
> sites and the significance of properly reposed (and exhibited, if possible)
> artifacts.  I would assert that you could have explained the Brazoria County
> Historical Museum's policy, in the framework of the general ethical issues
> associated with collecting on public and private lands, without using a tone
> that could obviously put the original writer on the defensive.  Excerpts from
> your response that illustrate my point follow:
>
>         -"We absolutely do not cooperate with what we in the profession call "pot
>         hunters."  And in no way will we assist you in your endeavors.  The
>         reason for this position is that you Pot Hunters are destroying the
>         historical record every time you remove an artifact from the ground."
>
>         -"I don't mean to be scolding because I am sure no one has ever revealed
>         this problem to you before.  If you want to be a really good guy, bring
>         you collection to the Museum where it can be recorded properly and
>         preserved for posterity."
>
> Perhaps the semantics of your message may explain why you're getting so much
> mail lately from collectors?
>
> Respectfully-
> Timothy Reed
> Office of the State Archaeologist of Iowa
> University of Iowa
> Iowa City, IA

No doubt about it.  It was a hurried reply, issued in the middle of a
first-time ever historical re-enactment festival, followed by a banquet
featuring Larry McMurtry.  I was admittedly under some duress and should
have held his request until I was not so rushed.  I have had to eat a
little humble pie this week and thank everyone in the museum community
who scolded me for reminding me that a little honey attracts more bees
than vinegar.

I stand corrected!

Bob Handy