From:
"Mary L. Kirby" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Mar 2005 19:10:04 -0600
From: David E. Haberstich
 "...empirically speaking, I do know  that the art museums in the Washington
and Baltimore areas that I visit are
usually pretty busy places, especially the National Gallery of Art.  And the
Art Institute of Chicago was very crowded when I was there in November.
Perhaps someone would care to comment on the relative "success" of art
museums in various
regions...."

Ah, but David, at least for me when I got to the National Gallery for a
whole Sunday afternoon, it was like I had reached the end of a pilgrimage.
All the way from Texas and a whole DAY to see the items discussed in art
history and shown in so many books. It was wonders.

Of course, I was among the hords (hoards?) of summer tourists which flock to
the Mall each year.

The year was 1964 and I had a summer job in D. C. so that I could spend more
than a few hours in the wonderous places I had seen in National Geographic
and heard about. I never found the Tate, I think it was under repair at the
time (?), but I delighted in going to the cafeteria at the History Museum
after work during the first experiment in having evening hours at
Smithsonian buildings. And that was back when there were only 6 or so.

But for a college museum out in the hinterlands with a limited but nice
collection, the story is not the same. IMHO

Mary Kirby