From:
Judith Turner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2007 16:29:49 -0700
Dear Susie et al. --

Like your museum, public libraries do not charge
admission fees so I suggest you take a look at any of
Sandy Dolnick's publications about Friends of the
Library groups.  I don't think the books are terribly
expensive but they are readily available through
interlibrary loan.  Here's a citation to a recent one:

Author 	Dolnick, Sandy.
Title 	The essential friends of libraries : fast
facts, forms, and tips / Sandy Dolnick.
Publisher 	Chicago : American Library Association,
2005.
Description 	xv, 99 p. ; 23 cm + 1 CD-ROM (4 3/4 in.).
Bibliography 	Includes bibliographical references (p.
99).
Subject 	Friends of the library -- United States --
Handbooks, manuals, etc.
ISBN 	083890856X (alk. paper)

There are a few tax-related issues that your
membership might have to deal with, depending on
whether it's a separately incorporated organization or
a dept. of the museum.

Also, once the membership organization is successful,
be prepared for the inevitable tug-of-war between your
primary funding source and the new friends group
(usually with your board and museum management team
caught in the middle.)

Good luck.

Judy Turner
Whitefish Bay, WI