From:
Jean Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Aug 2002 23:13:32 -0700
I work at a history museum in Arizona, and am currently planning a small exhibit which will feature the stories and (hopefully) the music of local musicians and bands from the Phoenix area in the past 50 years. For example, Alice Cooper, Marty Robbins, and the Tubes all came from the area.

My question is, what is the process needed to get permission to play the bands'/musicians' music in the exhibit? Is it ok (legal) to play music as long as it's for listening only? Do I have to contact labels or bands? Some musicians are no longer alive. I was wondering if anyone who has or had a music-related exhibit could give me some advice as to where to start?

Thank you.

Jean Reynolds, Curator of History