From:
Lisa Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Nov 1994 22:46:21 -0500
At the Chicago Botanic Garden we used poetry to help interpret our Sensory
Garden.  It wasn't scientific per se; more just a way to get visitors to
connect to the plants, and to tap into a more affective realm of experience.
 We sprinkled labels around the garden of haiku, children's verses, and
quotes from some of the great nature writer's (Thoreau etc.)

The reasoning behind this approach was that however competent our
label-writing, what we wanted to say about the sensroy, experiential side of
plants had already been said far more eloquently and movingly.  Visitors, I
might add, have given us very positive feedback.

Lisa Roberts