From:
Ashley LaVigne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2018 11:12:37 -0400
Hello again,

To answer some questions I think people have--like other institutions, our museum does sell our images from our archives, but the profit generated from the sale of these photos is is not substantial. Helpful for our very small society, but not something we clearly count on. My director is very adamant that people are stealing our images when we exhibit them or use them during public discussions and wants to deter people from even photographing them--explaining to him that we cannot stop people from photographing the kiosks or using them for personal/educational usage is difficult. It is only the two of us in our society and for now I must tread carefully while sharing the information you have all shared with me here. I am doing my very best to fight it though!

As someone else suggested, we do have usage forms for when our images are used in publications and those types of matters, but honestly, *I* am not the one really concerned over the copyright issue. Our deeds of gift also do contain verbiage that if people possess copyright to the material they are donating, that it is given to us.

I personally want to be able to exhibit our images freely without muddling them up with intrusive watermarks; especially when they don't belong there in the first place.

I am grateful for the time you all have spent in replying to my inquiry here and appreciate the suggested reading. I am going to get my hands on everything I can.

Thanks again.