From:
Jerrie Clarke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 May 2004 10:09:05 -0700
I was without Internet service for a bit and I'm
behind in my List reading, but I've actually given
this subject some thought over the past few years.  In
Alaska (where I curated until recently), as I'm sure
in other places, the weather tends to bring lots of
rain, snow, and mud.  Mud and melting snow fall out of
the crevices of the soles of sh0es and boots.  An
unwitting (or maybe not so unwitting) patron will
leave a puddle of mud and water when standing in front
of an exhibit and taking time to read the labels.
While cleaning up these muddy puddles, it occured to
me if people took off their shoes when entering, it
might be actually better from a conservation
standpoint and easier on the carpeted areas.  Also,
someone with a bare foot knows when he/she has stepped
in something.  Someone wearing a shoe often doesn't
know until when inside someone smells it or notices
the tracks left behind.  I understand the safety to
the barefoot person issue, but I'm not so sure being
barefoot is such a bad idea for the museum -- or
restaurant.

Just as a matter of interest: A few years ago I shared
a house with a woman who had been a barefooter since
childhood.  She showed me the Barefooters list serve
she watched and the Barefooters organization's web
site.  There are people who feel they have the right
to be without shoes and lobby to keep that right.

Again, sorry to join the conversation two weeks late.
I don't mean to start it up again, but I wanted to
voice my thoughts.

Jerrie

Jerrie Clarke
Office of Museum Services