From:
peter spooner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jan 2006 08:48:48 -0600
I would recommend:

Gilbert Davis Munger (1837-1903): Quest for Distinction
Essays by J. Gray Sweeney, Michael D. Schroeder and Peter F. Spooner
The first catalogue and major traveling exhibition devoted to this
talented but overlooked American painter, who began his career at age
13 as an apprentice engraver for the Smithsonian Institution, and later
accompanied the likes of Clarence King on exploratory expeditions in
the U.S. west, where he worked out of studios in San Francisco for
extended periods of time. Munger spent the years 1877-1893 in England,
France, Italy and Spain, where his Hudson River Valley school,  Western
U.S., and later, Barbizon-inspired works found praise and a ready
market, only to lapse into obscurity as he returned to the U.S. in his
last decade. The exhibition and book document many works never before
publicly seen.
Published by Afton Historical Society Press, Afton, MN.
2003, Hardcover, 168 pages, 68 color, 24 b/w illustrations
Retail: $40.00
ISBN 1-890434-57-4

--On Tuesday, January 24, 2006 8:56 PM -0800 Judy Malloy
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I'm currently working on the
> Books section of the California Artists website
>
> http://www.well.com/user/jmalloy/blueskies/calarts.html
>
> (click on Books on the menu on the right side)
>
> If anyone knows of any books on California art or artists
> that I haven't yet listed, I'd very much appreciate your
> sending me the information.
>
> Thanks so much!
>
> Judy Malloy

> Important Subscriber Information:
>
> The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
>
> If you decide to leave Museum-L, please send a one line e-mail

Peter F. Spooner, Curator
Tweed Museum of Art
University of Minnesota Duluth
1201 Ordean Court