From:
Paula Sumpter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Aug 1994 08:58:39 -0500
I know I'm going to open quite a can of worms here, but I have a request.
I have recently been approached to give a complete copy of one of our
databases, on diskettes, to an individual who is not a staff member, nor
is she a scientist.  The curator in charge of the collection and I both
objected, explaining that for a variety of reasons, museums do not give
away full, electronic copies of databases to anyone who asks.

Now I've been involved at meetings in discussions about the ramifications
of letting your data slip from your control.  We are not isolationist here,
in fact, we are getting together a gopher as we speak, which will make
available selected information from our collections databases.  It is the
issue of complete, electronic copies that I am dealing with here.

I've been asked by an administrator to back up by concerns with some
kind of policy that already exists out there in the museum field.  I
am not aware that AAM, ASC, or any other organization has made written
recommendations about this yet.  If they have, I would appreciate a
reference.

I don't want to get into a discussion about sharing vs non-sharing here.
I'm aware from meeting discussions that people feel strongly both
ways.  We have decided to share, but only in ways that, after much
discussion among the curatorial staff and myself, we feel appropriate
and ethical.  Obviously there is some info that simply shouldn't be
released.  What I need is some support about WHY we should not just
give everything away.  The more "official" the source of the policy,
the better, however I would be interested in seeing any data policies
that institutions may have that address this issue.

Unfortunately, we did not getting around to writing our own policy in
time to head this off.  Any help you could give me is appreciated.  Feel
free to answer me directly to save wear and tear on the list.

Thank You.

     |  Paula M. Sumpter              |  [log in to unmask]  |
     |  Information Services          |  Voice: 414 278-2740  |
     |  Milwaukee Public Museum, Inc. |  Fax:   414-278-6100  |
     |  800 W. Wells St.              |  All opinions in this |
     |  Milwaukee, WI  53233          |  message are my own.  |