From:
"Janzen, Mark" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Sep 2008 15:17:34 -0500
Hi Jessica,

Unfortunately, the only professionally responsible answer to that question/quandary is to do what you are told by a conservator who comes to view the piece, or who takes it back to their lab for analysis. The historic finish has to be thoroughly tested to determine its composition and sensitivity(ies) before any treatment(s) is applied. No advice we can provide on the forum can substitute for that process, and could easily do permanent harm.

Mark Janzen
Registrar/Collection Manager
Ulrich Museum of Art
Martin H. Bush Outdoor Sculpture Collection
316-978-5850