From:
Mark Erik Nielsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jun 1996 09:06:29 -0400
I agree, I am a primarily visual person. Most labels are launguage heavy
and contain esoteric information that is often beyond me. It seems to me
that the purpose of labels is to educate and arouse curiosity, but too
often they are obtuse, difficult or just plain boring. I have long been
an advocate of simply using labels to identify the object and handouts to
explain. I figure the people who really want to know more will be willing
to take that big extra step to actually pick up a handout and read it. We
often place a bin near the title wall or in some other obvoius place. The
extra plus for this is that the handout often leaves with the person,
spreading the word about the show and your museum!